The Good Stuff
Everyone seems to be talking about Black Friday – that super-hyped shopping frenzy that follows American Thanksgiving.
But what if people said no: a holiday shouldn’t be all about shopping. It should be about relaxing with friends and family, not rushing out to malls at midnight or struggling through crowds looking for bargains.
Obviously shopping is something we need to do – we need to eat, we need to be clothed, we like having nice things and giving gifts to those we love. But what if we saw it as a way to support our neighbours and make our communities stronger.
Did you know that if you shift 10% of your spending from non-local businesses to local businesses it will:
- create new jobs and decrease unemployment,
- generate thousands of dollars of increased local economic activity,
- inspire the formation of new independent ventures,
- decrease thousands of tons of greenhouse emissions caused by transporting goods thousands of miles, and
- revitalize communities and make them more economically resilient.
At Dig This, we try our best to find great things for your home and garden locally. We’ve made a conscious effort to think local and we hope you will too.
Elizabeth Cull, Franchise President