Perfect, I thought, much as I love gardening, summer weather makes you think more of lounging under a shady tree than weeding. So here are some of the tips I’ve gleaned – while seating in my lounge chair of course!
- Sprinkle coffee grounds over carrots to repel root maggots.
- Crushed egg shells mixed into the soil around cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower to provide the extra calcium they need. Crushed egg shells on the soil around plants deters slugs.
- When weeding, if weeds haven’t gone to seed, leave them on the ground as a mulch and green manure. (I really like this tip!)
- Grow edible pod peas and save time on shelling them.
- Use your grass clippings as mulch in the vegetable patch.
- Soak seeds of beets, Swiss chard and peas for 20 to 30 minutes before planting to speed up germination.
- Cut lettuce leaving the roots in the soil and the plants will grow another head for you!